Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds an extra layer of security to your Hubdoc account. It prevents unwanted parties from accessing yours and your client's information, even if they know your password.
How does it work?
When 2FA is enabled, Hubdoc will require you to use two authentication codes to access your account. The first authentication code is your password, the second is a verification code that is only accessible from your mobile device. Once you've successfully logged into your Hubdoc account using both authentication codes, you can select ‘Remember this device for 30 days’. This will allow you to access your account from known devices without having to use two authentication codes every time you want to log in.
How do I set it up?
Before enabling 2FA on your Hubdoc account, download one of the following free authenticator applications on the mobile device you will use to verify your identity: Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, or 1Password. The application you choose will be used to generate special codes that Hubdoc will use to verify your identity.
Now that your mobile device is setup:
- Log in to your Hubdoc account
- Click ‘Accounts’, a new window will pop up
- Click ‘Security’
- Select ‘Set Up Two-Factor Authentication’
- A recovery key will be displayed, make sure to record it!
Your recovery key is like a second password; if you lose the mobile device you selected to validate your identity, your recovery key will allow you to access your Hubdoc account. If you lose your recovery key, you could be locked out of your Hubdoc account permanently, so we recommend treating this key as if it were a password and keeping it in a safe place - such as in a password management application, or printed and stored offline in a safety deposit box or other secure location.
- Click ‘Set Up Authenticator App’
- Scan the barcode image using the application you downloaded on your mobile device (Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, or 1Password)
Scanning the barcode image will establish the link between your Hubdoc account and your mobile device.
- After scanning the barcode image, enter the 2FA code from your device to verify that it is set up correctly.
2FA is now set up on your Hubdoc account! You will be prompted to enter a verification code the next time you log in to the Hubdoc web or mobile application. Make sure to select ‘Remember this device for 30 days’ if you trust the device you are using and do not want to enter a verification code every time you log in.
- Mobile Access: If 2FA is enabled, please make sure to have the most recent version of the Hubdoc mobile app installed on your device. If you are using an older version of the Hubdoc mobile app, you may be prevented from logging into your Hubdoc account.
- Collaborators and Clients: Enabling 2FA on your Hubdoc account does not enable it on the accounts of your collaborators and clients. Collaborators and clients will still be able to log in to their Hubdoc accounts without using 2FA. We suggest enabling 2FA on all collaborator and client accounts to maximize security.