This article is for organisations in Canada and the United States.
- Convert a PDF bank statement to a CSV file of transactions which you can import to QuickBooks Online (QBO) or Xero.
What you need to know
How it works
You can use Hubdoc to extract the transactions from your scanned or bank downloaded PDF bank statement and convert the data to a CSV file. You can then import the CSV file to QBO or Xero to reconcile your transactions.
Hubdoc can extract data from debit or credit statements:
- Debit statements – Hubdoc will extract the date, description and amount for each transaction.
- Credit statements – Hubdoc will extract the posted date, transaction date, description and transaction amount.
Sometimes there can be an error extracting a transaction. This can occur if totals don’t match, no opening or closing date could be extracted, or data couldn’t be extracted for another reason.
When selected, the checkbox Highlight extracted transactions on bank statement highlights the transactions that were extracted from the statement, to help you review and fix errors faster. If an extraction error occurs, you only need to review the non-highlighted transactions.
To upload and export your bank statement data, your file must:
- Be a PDF with a maximum height and width of 40 inches, or 2880 points
- Contain all pages of the statement, with a maximum of 100 pages per PDF
- Be 35MB or less
- Have a minimum resolution of 200 DPI
- Only contain one statement
- Be written in English
- Be a debit or credit statement
- Be scanned straight; crooked or slanted scans can result in an error
Extract bank statement data
- Upload your bank statement to Hubdoc.
- F ind and open the statement in Hubdoc, then click Edit Document to open the data toolbar.
- Under Document Type, select Statement.
- Under Financial Institution, select the bank your statement is from.
- Under File Format, select your preferred file format for the exported data.
- Click Generate CSV.
- Once Hubdoc has processed your statement, click Download. Your transactions will download as a CSV file to your device.
If an error message shows, there may be a problem or missing transactions in your CSV file. Select the Highlight extracted transactions on bank statement checkbox. Successfully extracted transactions will be highlighted in the document viewer, allowing you to easily identify any missing transactions.
Note that Hubdoc might create multiple CSV files to meet the import requirements of the selected file format. For example, the import limit for Xero is 1,000 transactions per CSV file. If you select Xero CSV as your file format and your statement has more than 1,000 transactions, Hubdoc will export your data to a zip folder containing multiple CSV files.
If you notice an issue with your CSV data, you can report it.
'My bank is not listed' beta function
Xero has introduced the ability to extract statement data from any banks that operate in the United States or Canada. This allows you to extract statement data from a bank that isn’t listed above as a supported bank.
To use this feature, when searching for your bank, select My bank is not listed from the dropdown menu.
As this feature is still in beta, the accuracy of the results might vary from bank to bank. If a warning message shows, you can use the checkbox Highlight extracted transactions on bank statement to help you review and fix errors faster.
The beta functionality is provided 'as is', and by using the beta function you agree Xero won’t be liable for any damage caused by its use. We may discontinue the beta at any time.
Hubdoc can extract data from selected statement types from supported banks. This means the data extraction has been validated and high quality results are likely.
The following banks are supported:
Bank of America
Bank of Hawaii
Bank of the West
Best Buy Credit Card
BMO Harris Bank
East West Bank
Fifth Third Bank
First Midwest Bank
First Republic Bank
Prairie Community Bank
Sam's Club Credit Card
Sterling National Bank
TD Bank (US)
Valley National Bank
WA Federal Bank
Woodforest National Bank
Royal Bank of Canada
TD Canada Bank Trust
If your bank isn’t supported, you can still use the beta function to extract statement data. See below for more information.
You can also request to add it by raising it as an idea in Xero Product Ideas. Xero Product Ideas is a Xero website where our customers can share and support ideas for change.